Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Days Before (just random thoughts)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Chester's Thru-Hike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Two Days Before (just random thoughts) Reply with quote

As I'm sitting here weighing and re-weighing every single item in my pack I'm thinking about last years experience on the trail what lessons learned could I possibly take with me on this years attempt.

I think first and foremost...this is not going to be handed to me; I will need to work for it. Not only the days on the trail, but also the countless days and weeks spent in the last year training. You know that saying, "If you want something bad enough, you will find a way to make it happen." Well, I don't think that applies to this. Or maybe it does, but I didn't realize that "finding a way to make it happen" was going to take A LOT more training and perseverance. I think I've lived a charmed life in it's own little way. I've been blessed with many things that I feel have been gifts rather than this thing I have worked long and hard for. This thru-hike is not a gift...it is a challenge and I needed to get out there and fail in order to realize that just because I wanted it does not mean I'm just going to get it. I think at the time, no one could have told me this. I needed to learn that on my own. Thank goodness I was out there alone and my inexperience did not affect anyone else or put them in danger.

The second thing I have learned is to respect the trail and the challenge it presents. I now see the trail as a long snake winding and curving and curling across the hills. There are challenges out there, not only with the land but the weather as well. Hills to climb, rocks to scramble, streams to cross, roots to trip over, mud to slip in, storms to duck, temperatures to confront and wildlife to greet. But the trail also gives many gifts; the songs of the birds, the warm sun on the back of my neck, the music of the occasional waterfall, that beautiful thick green moss, the starry night sky, the hoot of the owl and the howl of the coyotes. Last year I couldn't wait to get out there and experience those gifts. This year, with my eyes a bit more open, I'm excited about those gifts, but aware of the challenges.

The third thing I have learned is to prepare. Believe those who have actual thru-hiking experience and listen to the advice and links they send you. They took the time to answer your questions, take the time to look at the links and learn about thru-hiking and ultra light. Have the right gear for the job. I wouldn't take a Canon Rebel to photograph a wedding; I should use that same concept with my hiking gear. It doesn't need to cost a lot of money, just put some thought into it. Last year, I contacted people and sat down and had conversations with thru-hikers. Most of the time they told me the same things. But rather than listen, I ignored what I didn't want to hear and told myself I would make it happen doing it my way because after all, I have been told "If you want something bad enough, you will find a way to make it happen." Over the past year, I have read and reread those emails...made adjustments and humbly changed my "plan".

Take the time to learn how to use my gear. Last year I sorta had the attitude of "ok, I'll just learn how to use it once I get on the trail." I was exhausted at the end of the day. The last thing I wanted to do was to think. I'm not talking about just the stove and tent and gps, but every single thing on me. How to properly adjust my backpack or realizing that if I tighten my shoestrings too tight, it could damage my knees or hips or more. Or testing the meals to see exactly how much water to add without using a measuring cup. Or how to navigate during the daytime using three sticks or at night using the North Star (thanks, Dave). The lightest and exact formula for water storage and purification. First Aid. Most importantly, foot care to prevent those horrible and painful blisters inexperienced hikers get when they hike in wet boots.

I learned I'm not as strong as I thought I was. As the experienced people told me, I'm really not strong enough to carry a heavy pack.

Lastly, I have learned that it's ok to fall down, to allow my husband to see me cry (or hear me cry over the phone in this instance) and to admit I'm in over my head. I have learned to keep my chin up, laugh about my failures and get up and move on forward. Screw getting up and wiping the dust off. I earned that dust...I'm gonna wear it with pride!

Ok. Now with all that being said. This year I feel STRONG!!! I am hiking faster and longer than I ever have and at the end of the day I actually have more energy rather than less. This year my mind is in a better place. I'm all here and just overall in a happy place.

...to the journey...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Chester's Thru-Hike All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: