Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The ST: Where IS it, really?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zen
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: The ST: Where IS it, really? Reply with quote

How about an update on the trail information? Isn't the "new" Southern Terminus at Burnt Mill Bridge and NOT Leatherwood Ford? Information like this should be easier to find on the site and the old stuff really needs to come down. Maps need to be current and NOT 3 years old.

One more thing: Making the ST longer isn't necessarily better. If the ST is currently the 319 miles that it's alleged to be, then let's make that 319 miles more "hiker friendly" before extending it further out of Kentucky. Personally? I see no advantage to extending "Kentucky's Long Trail" any further into Tennessee. I DO see working harder at the "Trail Town" concept as worthwhile. Rolling Eyes

Captain Blue
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure you will get a lot of traction or replies on your comments here on the discussion board. You would probably get more if you posted this in the Sheltowee Trace Association (STA) Facebook Group. Most discussion boards like these are slowly dying and being replaced with Facebook groups.

I hiked from the Burnt Mill Trailhead north for 50 miles in January. It was not easy trying to figure out that this was the new southern terminus. I had to poke around, read various posts, sort through conflicting information and consult with people. Yes, it should be much easier to figure out.

I still can't find on the STA web site where the trail begins and ends. I am sure it is there somewhere but to me it is not easy to find. From what I understand this web site is not run by the STA. The STA web site is the .org version.

I agree with you on extending a trail for the sake of claiming more miles and having a longer trail. Some trail organization value quantity over quality. To me a trail should be measured by the quality of its miles not the quantity of miles. I'm not exactly sure where the DBNF or STA stands on the quantity versus quality issue.

I do know that the "new" miles in the south are part of Big South Fork NRRA. The trail crews at Big South Fork do an excellent job keeping the trail maintained, marked and signed. Some of the best trail signage I've ever seen in the NPS system is at Big South Fork. So I suspect that the new extra trail miles came at little extra volunteer expense on the part of STA in terms on trail maintenance.

Just my two cents.

Zen
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: The ST Where is it? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I find it frustrating that the discussion board seems to be more or less neglected. "Trail Dust" used to be on top of it but I guess he is no longer STA Director.

As to the Facebook page? Don't generally see much good info there (or did I miss something?). I'll be back on the trail later this week so I guess I'll get whatever info I need the hard way. Just found out that even the OutraGIS maps have known inaccuracies. Would be nice if a copy of these accompanied the maps but that's not being done either.

genes
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen, I agree. It appears that in the last year or two, accurate up to date information on the ST has become difficult to find. The best source is communicating with individuals directly, but is of little help to the masses. I keep looking for updates here and on STA website, but the dialog on both has pretty much died. The Facebook page has very little useful information other than pictures.

Gene
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get on Facebook and look up The Sheltowee Trace Association. The ST Hiker Challenge is on it along with lots of questions about the ST

Websites like this are slowly fading away

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: STA Info Reply with quote

Zen,

Thanks for your posting. Sorry for your frustration. Yes the .com site is not necessarily the place to go for info. While I monitor this page as often as possible, the STA as an organization is not in charge of this page. It is run by the Outragis folks.

We attempt to provide as much information as we can on the .org site. It is not the best site but since we are a volunteer organization and have no paid person to do web updating we try to do the best we can. If you have specific information the fastest way is to contact me directly. I do respond to emails just as soon as they come in. We know there is a need for more specific info, like specific info to help end to enders. We are working on this issue and hope to have an End to End Guide, similar to the one offered by the Long Trail, ready in 2016.

director@sheltoweetrace.org is the email. you can also phone me 606.386.3636 if you need info.

As stated, we do post a lot of information on Facebook. The STA page is open. There is a STA Group page which requires approval to be a member - not that we are trying to keep folks out- but we get hit with a lot of request for membership from ladies with the wrong intentions.

The Trace is 319 miles long and has been since October 1st 2014 information that was posted to our pages and the Sheltowee Trace National Recreation Trail page which we also manage.

I agree we can do more to inform the public and if we can get volunteers to help in all areas things will get better.

As for extending the Trace - first the Trace was already in Tennessee when the STA got started. At this time, through the generosity of our members and the cooperation of the National Park Service we have been able to add 19 more miles of outstanding trail to the Trace. We feel that the Trace, like all long trails will be constantly changing as circumstances dictate. We are committed to maintaining the Trace and as of today we are seeking volunteers to help with our semi-annual trail assessment called Trail Check. Information about how you can volunteer is on our webpage.

While plans call for us to work toward connecting the Trace with the Cumberland Trail in Tennessee, this is a long term goal. We believe that connecting the Trace will bring more and more users to the trail.

Again, sorry for the slow response here. Ewker is right, message boards such as this one are dying because folks have moved on to Twitter and Facebook. We will continue to monitor this board as long as it is operational.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: