Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Day 14 Ky-11 to KY-77-18.7 miles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Chester's Thru-Hike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Day 14 Ky-11 to KY-77-18.7 miles Reply with quote

Day 14 Ky-11 to KY-77 (18.7 miles)

Because I was making such good time and was feeling no pain, I decided to forgo the planned rest day before the RRG section.
But as the rain continued throughout the night and I contemplated taking the rest day. I had almost 20 miles to go today and I didn’t feel like hiking it in the cold rain. After checking the weather forecast for the next day, I decided that hiking in the sprinkling rain today would be better than hiking in the thunderstorms tomorrow.

I didn’t even need my guidebook or maps. This section of the Sheltowee I knew very well. This was my home turf; a trail I had numerous times hiked last year while training for this thru-hike. I knew that if I wanted to get out of the woods before the thunder rolled in, I would need to hike fast. I wasn’t too worried about that. I was feeling strong.

But for some reason, this section of the Sheltowee was my slowest hiking day. I felt like I was moving super fast, but my GPS told me otherwise. Even Dave was concerned while watching my Spot Tracker. He noticed I was hiking slower. I’m not sure if it was the hills (they didn’t seem any steeper) or what.

It felt good to be back in my neighborhood. I had contemplated bringing a dog with me but decided to hike it alone. Towards the end of the day the rain picked up from a mist to a slow sprinkle to a steady drizzle. By the time I reached the KY-77, the rain was really coming down. The advantage of this was that the dogs were not out to chase me. As I was hiking down KY-77, my rain hood pulled tightly around my head with an opening just wide enough for me to see and breathe a little, that familiar car came around the bend with doggies in the back barking fiercely at this strange person hopping in. It was back to the cabin for a much needed rest day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Chester's Thru-Hike All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: