Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Day 13 Ky-52 to Whittleton Camp Ground-17.0 miles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Chester's Thru-Hike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Day 13 Ky-52 to Whittleton Camp Ground-17.0 miles Reply with quote

Day 13 Ky-52 to Whittleton Camp Ground (17.0 miles)

The next morning I was up with the sun to get an early start on the trail for two reasons. Thunderstorms were rolling in that afternoon and most importantly, I wanted to hit Miguel’s Pizza before the dinner crowd.
I think out of the whole trip this particular section I was most curious about. I had never known about a back entrance into Natural Bridge State Park. I could not figure out how I could possibly get from KY-52 to the State Park without going down KY-11.

Early on, I started on what I thought to be the back entrance to Natural Bridge State Park. It was a gravel road that went down into a beautiful creek bed but soon came out onto another road, which turned to gravel, then blacktop and back to gravel. It was here in this section where I met the most aggressive dogs. They were not used to anyone coming down their road and this was the most excitement they had in months. They would not fall for the ol’ Combo Pretzel trick. They would not flinch when I stomped my trekking poles on the ground. So I kept moving forward with dogs barking obscenities behind me.

I did run into two men repairing a fence around this time. One of them offered me a cold Ale 8 and some moonshine. I gladly accepted the Ale 8 but passed on the moonshine for I had many miles to hike.

After what seemed like miles and miles of road walking, I finally reached the back entrance to Natural Bridge State Park. The sky was getting dark and I knew the next few miles were going to be on a ridgeline so I quickened my pace to a slow trot to cover more ground. It was a Saturday and I passed a few groups of people the closer I got to the arch.

Finally, I reached Whittleton Campground just in time for the rain to roll in. I wasn’t worried because just around the corner a hot Miguel’s pizza waited for me.

This day was one of my fastest hiking days…17.59 miles at 3.3 miles per hour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Chester's Thru-Hike All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: