Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Day 10 Route 490 to south of 421/McKee-22.2 miles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Chester's Thru-Hike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Day 10 Route 490 to south of 421/McKee-22.2 miles Reply with quote

Day 10 Route 490 – to south of 421 (McKee) (22.2 miles with three fords)

My rest day was rainy and cold and I had a cautionary ford to cross at Horse Lick Creek so, taking the advice of the Sheltowee trail advisors, one rest day turned into two while I waited for the creek to go down a bit before hitting the trail again.

The overcast day turned into sunshine but was still pretty chilly. Horse Lick Creek is still deep, even in dry weather. After studying the maps, I decided to cross the bridge on KY-89 to the other side of the creek and hike along the opposite side of the river for a mile or two until I met up with the Sheltowee again. It was easy hiking as there is already a trail on that side of the creek and since it ran parallel to the Sheltowee trail on the other side of the creek, no mileage was lost.

The rest of the morning was spent on ATV trails that ran along the creek with two minor fords. The muddy trails slowly became gravel and finally I was hiking on a nice gravel road with a few summer cabins. I was thinking these cabins were empty but a barking dog came out at me. There was a chain across the driveway of the cabin he was protecting and it looked as though no one had been there for months. I hope his owners had not forgotten to take him home with them last fall.

Towards the end of the day, the wind was starting to pick up and I needed to find a camping spot suitable for a windy evening. I found a spot in a dense Hemlock grove on a ridgeline. With little phone service I was able to text my husband and brother to tell them I had survived the Horse Lick Creek crossing and all was well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Chester's Thru-Hike All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: