Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Day 16 Caney Creek to Morehead Ky-32-16.7 miles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Chester's Thru-Hike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Day 16 Caney Creek to Morehead Ky-32-16.7 miles Reply with quote

Day 16 Caney Creek to Morehead Ky-32 (16.7 miles)

I woke up to wind and knew this day I would need to watch my topknot. I had been told this would be a hilly part of the hike so I mentally prepared for the worst and started up the trail. It was nice to be on beautiful trail again. I crossed over Cave Run Lake Dam and headed to the Visitor Center. My friend Frank works there and I wanted to stop in and say hi. After a few minutes of visiting, I was back on the trail. This part of the trail was well maintained and well blazed. In my opinion, the section between Cave Run Lake and US-60 was blazed better than any other part of the trail.

Once I hit US-60, the rest of the day would be a road walk. I came up on a gift shop and stepped inside to see if they had Moon Pies. They didn’t so I settled for a Snickers instead. They didn’t seem busy so I stayed and visited for a while really just because it was warmer and less windy than outside.

After awhile though, I knew I had to keep on down the road because I had to reach civilization that evening. It was going to get down to below 17º that night and my sleeping bag would not keep me nearly warm enough. For my safety, I decided to stay at a hotel since I was passing one anyway.

Finally, after what seemed like hours, I landed in civilization. I was in Morehead with hotels and FOOD. After a super sized Chicken and Dumpling dinner at the Cracker Barrel, I proceeded over to the store to buy lots of energy bars and Red Bulls. I had never had a Red Bull but Thomas told me this was his secret weapon for hiking so many miles in a day. I decided it couldn’t hurt so I bought two of them and five energy bars for lunch and snacks for my final day of hiking. I was going to need it because the next day was my last day and I needed to hike 27 miles to reach the Northern Terminus. This was five miles further than I had ever hiked in one day.

Finally, I made it to my oh so warm hotel room. First thing, I turned up the heat to 75º and laid my socks and shoes on the heater to dry. No more frozen socks and shoes in the morning! The end was finally in sight.
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you think of the Red Bulls? I tried one before and after one sip I tossed it..yuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Chester's Thru-Hike All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: