Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Day 9 Route 80 to Route 490-18.8 miles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Chester's Thru-Hike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Day 9 Route 80 to Route 490-18.8 miles Reply with quote

Day 9 Route 80 to Route 490 (18.8 miles with ford just before 490)

The next morning I woke up and quickly had breakfast. I had over 18 miles to hike that day to where my husband would pick me up.

The day’s hiking started off easy enough…a lovely trail winding through the woods. But it soon turned into a disaster. Trees were down everywhere and the only way around was to slowly climb over them. I had no idea why all of the trees were down but soon had a clue when I came to a particular steep slope and a “memory” marker had been placed on a tree. I think possibly this area had recently been closed to 4 wheelers after an accident and this was the Forest Service’s way of closing trails. The jumbled mess went on for about a mile and it was back to hiking on gravel roads and finally crossing over interstate 75. But not before I stopped at the truck stop and had the best (and most deserved) cheeseburger I’ve ever had.

The trail continued on the road and through a small dog-infested neighborhood on past the Wildcat Civil War camp site. It then led on up the ridge and off to the right on a stretch of ATV trail walking. I did meet up with a man and his grandson who found it fascinating that I was hiking the Sheltowee from start to end.

Towards the end of the day, the trail led back into the woods and I was enjoying the last hours of the warm sunshine when I heard rustling ahead of me on the trail. I slowed my pace, a bit unsure of what was making the sound. All of a sudden three of the most beautiful dogs I had ever seen were running at me full force. They jumped on me in unison, knocking me flat on the ground and proceeded to give me the most welcome doggie kisses. My pups had found me and not far behind them was my husband. They had decided to hike in and surprise me. It felt good to be with my family again and I was looking forward to a day’s rest and a warm bed to sleep in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Chester's Thru-Hike All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: